Thursday, March 5, 2015

Sitting at home on this snowy days random thoughts run through my mind as usual......
A question that a client asked me at worked once began to cloud my mind.....
As a social worker/ counselor who has major in psychology, some would think that we have all the answers to their psychological issues. However, this could not be more incorrect.....
Anyways, I am rambling.... so this client asked me

Are we who we are before medication or after we have been medicated for our mental issues?

I was not sure how to answer this and kind of bullshitted an answer about how it depends on what perspective we are looking at this from and blah blah blah......
Now as a person who takes a mood stabilizer and an anxiety medication, I began to ask myself the same question. Am I who I am on my meds? Or am I who I am off my meds?

Off my medication I tend to be a very high strong person for periods of time. Ill be that extra happy person all the time. That bubbly person that says hello to strangers and seems totally content with her life. Without medication I have periods were I get many panic attacks and I become a little paranoid about people's intentions. I can get very depressed at times also, although I am very good at hiding this when I am not alone. When I am alone and depressed I cry and I eat and I cry and I eat, for no particular reason whatsoever. 

In comparison, on my medication I am still a bit of a high strong person and I still say hello to strangers and I am polite to everyone and I dance and I sing, but not the way I used to before. Not with the passion and pleasure that I felt I did it before. I feel kind of flat sometimes, like I have to force myself to be this extra happy person, and honestly I kind of miss the mania!


So who am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment