Thursday, January 27, 2011

Learning what this is.....

So, I was diagnosed with depression about two months. I knew I was sad because of certain events that took place in my life, but I thought it was just something that I would get over by just venting to someone about my problems and concerns. I never thought that depression was a serious condition. I simply thought that people who have depression just have the blues because they are upset about something, but with time the heart will heal from whatever it was. Oh boy, was I wrong! As time continued on I felt myself getting more and more upset with out really having an explanation. Everything on t.v. made me cry. Thoughts would constantly clutter my head with things I had no desire to think about....but I did and I couldn't help it. I constantly felt like I had drank 20 cups of coffee, with anxiety so high that I just wanted to jump in front of a moving truck just so that I wouldn't have to feel this anymore. Well, I have decided that I no longer want to live like this,so, I went online and started doing some research on what depression actually is. From that research I came to the conclusion that no one really knows exactly what depression is or exactly why people get it.....which wasn't very encouraging! Researchers believe that certain things can cause depression; such as, genetics, biochemicals, the environment, and psychosocial factors. However, the encouraging news that I did discover is that depression may be defeated with drugs, counseling, and the will to change it. I myself have started treating myself with a drug called Lexapro, which has a 50/50 chance of working and making me normal again. This medicine takes 4 to 6 weeks to perform its effect, so in the mean time I will continue to research on other ways to get out of this funk and see how they work. I am going to attempt a different strategy every week, aside from my meds and therapy, and I will keep you updated on how it worked for me. I am excited and look forward to making the changes in my life that I need to beat this awful disease because I hate it and it has taken control of my life in a way I never thought possible. I want to over come this so this is my start.....

No comments:

Post a Comment